Sunday, August 22, 2010

What is the difference between marketing and advertising?

What is the difference between marketing and advertising?





I am going to look at colleges over vacation and I think that my dream job would be something to do with fashion merchandising or being like a buyer. I am not sure what major would be the best for this. I am thinking either marketing or advertising/public relations. Which major would help me with those career goals and also offer me the most flexibility in finding other jobs?

What is the difference between marketing and advertising?
Marketing is promoting a product which may or may not involve advertising.





These days every Tom, Dick and Harry has a bachelors. IMHO the best thing you can do for your career is to decide on doing a Masters now. This means instead of taking subjects for your career in undergrad like marketing do subjects that teach you to think eg math, English, philosophy etc. Save the actual vocational subjects like marketing for your postgraduate. It also means not worrying about going to some expensive ultra prestigious school for your undergrad - save that for post-grad. This approach will also save you money over doing only an undergrad at an expensive school. You can save even more money by starting at a CC.





Thanks


Bill


No comments:

Post a Comment